Health Care Emissions Impact Calculator to be released
Error messageWe are currently investigating issues with login and registration. During this time you may also have problems accessing Greenhealth Academy or other member resources on our main site. This does not affect logins with our Awards site. We apologize for this inconvenience and we're working to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
Health Care Without Harm and Practice Greenhealth plan to release a free, first-of-its-kind calculator to help health care organizations measure their GHG emissions across scopes 1, 2, and 3.
The Health Care Emissions Impact Calculator is an accounting tool specifically designed to help health care organizations measure their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. The calculator can be used to develop a GHG inventory at the facility and/or system level for all Scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions. It will be the first free, publicly available tool of its kind for health care.
The calculator helps health care organizations take their first step on the path to emissions measurement, reporting, and reduction efforts. Health care organizations can use the calculator to:
- Develop a baseline GHG emissions inventory
- Track increases and decreases in GHG emissions over time
- Identify major sources of GHG emissions at the facility and/or system level
- Create an action plan to reduce Scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions
- Prioritize among potential interventions to reduce GHG emissions
- Understand the climate footprint of the organization’s supply chain
- Report GHG emissions as part of climate pledges like the HHS Health Sector Climate Pledge or the Race to Zero
The calculator follows the GHG Protocol, the world’s most widely used GHG accounting standard.
Stay in the know
If you'd like to be among the first to be notified when this new resource is released, sign up for our email updates.
Join Practice Greenhealth
Practice Greenhealth is the health care sector’s go-to source for information, tools, data, resources, and expert technical support on sustainability initiatives that help hospitals and health systems meet their health, financial, and community goals.