Hospitals recognized for their sustainability leadership
Practice Greenhealth announces winners of Top 25 Environmental Excellence Awards
[Washington, DC] Practice Greenhealth, the nation’s leading nonprofit membership and networking organization for sustainable health care, has announced the winners of its annual Top 25 Environmental Excellence Awards.
These health care facilities exemplify the best in environmental excellence, representing the highest standards for sustainability practices in health care.
“As more and more hospitals embed sustainability into their operations, the bar for environmental excellence increases every year,” said Gary Cohen, President of Practice Greenhealth. “These 25 hospitals demonstrate the kind of leadership, innovation, and performance that can drive the entire health sector towards more environmentally responsible practices.”
The Top 25 winners for 2018 are (in alphabetical order):
- Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital (Downers Grove, Ill.)
- Boston Medical Center (Boston, Mass.)
- Cleveland Clinic (Cleveland, Ohio)
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (Lebanon, N.H.)
- Hackensack Meridian Health - Hackensack University Medical Center (Hackensack, N.J.)
- Harborview Medical Center (Seattle, Wash.)
- Hudson Hospital (Hudson, Wis.)
- Kaiser Permanente San Jose Medical Center (San Jose, Calif.)*
- Lakeview Hospital (Stillwater, Minn.)*
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (New York, N.Y.)
- Overlook Medical Center (Summit, N.J.)*
- Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital (St. Louis Park, Minn.)
- Regions Hospital (St. Paul, Minn.)
- Seattle Children’s Hospital (Seattle, Wash.)
- U.S. Army, Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center (Fort Hood, Texas)*
- University of Vermont Medical Center (Burlington, Vt.)
- University of Washington Medical Center (Seattle, Wash.)
- VHA 04 Erie VA Medical Center #562 (Erie, Penn.)
- VHA 04 James E. Van Zandt VA Medical Center #503 (Altoona, Penn.)
- VHA 12 Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center #695 (Milwaukee, Wis.)*
- VHA 21 VA Palo Alto Health Care System #640 (Palo Alto, Calif.)*
- VHA 21 VA Southern Nevada Healthcare System #593 (North Las Vegas, Nev.)
- VHA 23 Iowa City VA Medical Center #636A8 (Iowa City, Iowa)
- VHA 23 Minneapolis VA Health Care System #618 (Minneapolis, Minn.)
- VHA 23 St. Cloud VA Healthcare System #656 (St. Cloud, Minn.)
* First time appearing on the Top 25 list. Read more about each of the winners on the Practice Greenhealth website.
Practice Greenhealth’s highest honor, the Top 25 Environmental Excellence Award winners range in size from large, urban, academic medical centers to critical access hospitals—but are all leading the country in addressing the links between the environment and human health—and have the programs, data, and documentation to demonstrate their successes. These facilities have committed, engaged staff supporting these programs, and also show leadership in their local communities and across the health care sector.
Award winners are chosen among hospital applicants that have the highest scores on the Greenhealth Partner for Change application. Each year, the competition for these top spots increases, as a growing number of facilities are implementing creative, sustainable, and replicable practices.
Practice Greenhealth will recognize the Top 25 Environmental Excellence Award winners on May 9 in San Diego at the Environmental Excellence Awards Gala during CleanMed 2018.
Recognizing other hospitals and health systems that are leading by example, Practice Greenhealth will also celebrate additional winners of its Environmental Excellence Awards program during the Awards Gala, including: the Visionary Leader Award; the Circles of Excellence; the Greening the OR Leadership Award; the Greenhealth Emerald, Partner for Change, and Partner Recognition Awards; the Making Medicine Mercury-Free and Greening the OR Recognition Awards; and the System for Change Award.
Learn more about the Top 25 Environmental Excellence Award Winners: https://practicegreenhealth.org/node/32223
About Practice Greenhealth
Practice Greenhealthis the leading nonprofit membership and network organization for sustainable health care, delivering environmental solutions to more than 1,100 members throughout the United States. Founded on the principles of positive environmental stewardship within the health care community, Practice Greenhealth lends its expertise to organizations looking to create safer, sustainable workplaces as well as improve the health of their patients, staff, and communities.
Join Practice Greenhealth
Practice Greenhealth is the health care sector’s go-to source for information, tools, data, resources, and expert technical support on sustainability initiatives that help hospitals and health systems meet their health, financial, and community goals.