Environmental Excellence Awards
Changes to Environmental Excellence Awards
To support our members, Practice Greenhealth revised our Environmental Excellence Awards process.
For the 2021 awards season, we are suspending the tiered awards structure, including Top 25 and Circles of Excellence, in favor of a single, broad recognition category. We look forward to celebrating hospitals that have continued their sustainability work in the face of incredible challenges while capturing your facilities’ unique stories of resiliency and innovation that have emerged during this crisis.
What’s staying the same
- Practice Greenhealth will offer the standard Partner for Change application, including new content changes for 2021.
- Practice Greenhealth will provide benchmark report cards, trend reports, and system reports for this awards cycle.
- There will be an opportunity for system-level recognition and Making Medicine Mercury-Free recognition.
- Facilities that choose to submit the full Partner for Change application will have the opportunity for a detailed gap analysis.
- Practice Greenhealth will offer a streamlined application option focused primarily on metrics and successes.
- Regardless of which application is submitted (standard or streamlined), facilities will be compared and scored only on the content within the streamlined application.
- Transportation will have its own category.
- Some metrics scoring may be revised as a result of data abnormalities in this unusual year.
- There will be no Partner Recognition or Greening the OR Recognition applications available this year.
Applications will be available, along with details and training on the revised approach, in November.
Practice Greenhealth announced the 2020 recipients of the Top 25 Environmental Excellence Awards, the most prestigious environmental achievement for health care.
The Environmental Excellence Awards are the nation’s premier recognition program for environmental performance in the health care sector. Launched in 2002, the awards program recognizes health care facilities and health systems for their commitment to environmental stewardship and their sustainability achievements. Winners are celebrated each year at the Environmental Excellence Awards Gala at CleanMed, the national conference for leaders in health care sustainability, as well as in the press and on social media. It also provides health care institutions with the opportunity to compare and benchmark their progress against other invested organizations.
Access the full list of the 2020 winners.
Who is eligible to apply?
Health care facilities and health systems must be current members of Practice Greenhealth to apply for and/or receive an award. As a reminder, Practice Greenhealth members must be in good standing throughout the award application process to avoid any delays in access to or submission of the application. Please check with your member engagement liaison to ensure you don't have any interruption.
Practice Greenhealth offers applications and awards tailored to a range of different health care settings.
Click on your facility type below to learn more about the awards you are eligible for, the different application types, and view PDFs of the applications:
- Facility type 1: Health care facilities with overnight beds and operating rooms (acute care or critical access hospitals)
- Facility type 2: Health care facilities with overnight beds and no operating rooms (long-term care, psychiatric or rehabilitation hospitals)
- Facility type 3: Health care facilities with no overnight beds (community health centers, outpatient care facilities, ambulatory surgery centers, family health centers, stand-alone laboratories, or clinics)
If you are unsure, your member engagement liaison can work with you to identify your facility type, and will set up your awards account accordingly. Your facility will only be able to access award applications applicable to your facility type.
Awards tools and resources
Practice Greenhealth provides a range of tools and resources to support members during the application process as well as materials and guidance to help promote award winners.
See our award winners for 2019, as well as previous years.
Please contact awards technical assistance or call 888-378-2259 with questions about the Environmental Excellence Awards. You can also contact your member engagement liaison. VA facilities should first connect with their VISN mentor or email VAsupport@practicegreenhealth.org.
Join Practice Greenhealth
Practice Greenhealth is the health care sector’s go-to source for information, tools, data, resources, and expert technical support on sustainability initiatives that help hospitals and health systems meet their health, financial, and community goals.