Environmental Excellence Awards
2021 Award Applications are now available
The 2021 Environmental Excellence Award applications are now available. Please make note of changes to this year’s awards program due to the pandemic. If you need assistance in setting up an awards account, contact Chris Bodkin at 888-378-2259. If you are a member of the Veteran's Health Administration, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Kaeleigh Sheehan at 888-450-7707 with inquiries.
Award application PDFs and an Excel spreadsheet of award application questions are available to assist in data collection. Learn more on the Awards Tools and Resources page. If you would like to do a data upload as a health system, please contact Lara Sutherland.
To support our members, Practice Greenhealth revised our Environmental Excellence Awards process for the 2021 awards season. We are suspending the tiered awards structure, including Top 25 and Circles of Excellence, in favor of a single, broad recognition category.
We look forward to celebrating hospitals that have continued their sustainability work in the face of incredible challenges while capturing your facilities’ unique stories of resiliency and innovation that have emerged during this crisis.
What’s staying the same
- Practice Greenhealth will offer the standard Partner for Change application, including new content changes for 2021.
- Practice Greenhealth will provide benchmark report cards, trend reports, and system reports for this awards cycle.
- There will be an opportunity for system-level recognition and Making Medicine Mercury-Free recognition.
- Facilities that submit the full Partner for Change application will have the opportunity for a detailed gap analysis.
- Practice Greenhealth will offer a modified application option focused primarily on metrics and successes.
- Regardless of which application is submitted (standard or modified), facilities will be scored only on the content within the modified application.
- Transportation will have its own category.
- Practice Greenhealth has implemented multi-factor authentication as an additional cybersecurity measure for the awards platform.
- Some metrics scoring may be revised as a result of data abnormalities in this unusual year.
- There will be no Partner Recognition or Greening the OR Recognition applications this year.
Nov. 19: Webinar reviewing changes at 2 p.m. EST
June 9: Applications due
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Practice Greenhealth announced the 2020 recipients of the Top 25 Environmental Excellence Awards, the most prestigious environmental achievement for health care.
The Environmental Excellence Awards are the nation’s premier recognition program for environmental performance in the health care sector. Launched in 2002, the awards program recognizes health care facilities and health systems for their commitment to environmental stewardship and their sustainability achievements. Winners are celebrated each year at the Environmental Excellence Awards Gala at CleanMed, the national conference for leaders in health care sustainability, as well as in the press and on social media. It also provides health care institutions with the opportunity to compare and benchmark their progress against other invested organizations.
Access the full list of the 2020 winners.
Awards tools and resources
Practice Greenhealth provides a range of tools and resources to support members during the application process as well as materials and guidance to help promote award winners.
See our award winners for 2020, as well as previous years.
Please contact awards technical assistance or call 888-378-2259 with questions about the Environmental Excellence Awards. You can also contact your member engagement liaison. VA facilities should first connect with their VISN mentor or email VAsupport@practicegreenhealth.org.
Join Practice Greenhealth
Practice Greenhealth is the health care sector’s go-to source for information, tools, data, resources, and expert technical support on sustainability initiatives that help hospitals and health systems meet their health, financial, and community goals.