Environmental Excellence Awards
The Environmental Excellence Awards are the nation’s premier recognition program for environmental performance in the health care sector. Launched in 2002, the awards program recognizes health care facilities and health systems for their commitment to environmental stewardship and their sustainability achievements. Winners are celebrated each year at the Environmental Excellence Awards Gala at CleanMed, the national conference for leaders in health care sustainability, as well as in the press and on social media. It also provides health care institutions with the opportunity to compare and benchmark their progress against other invested organizations.
Who is eligible to apply?
Health care facilities and health systems must be current members of Practice Greenhealth to apply for and/or receive an award. As a reminder, Practice Greenhealth members must be in good standing throughout the award application process to avoid any delays in access to or submission of the application. Please check with your member engagement liaison to ensure you don't have any interruption.
Practice Greenhealth offers applications and awards tailored to a range of different health care settings.
Click on your facility type below to learn more about the awards you are eligible for, the different application types, and view PDFs of the applications:
- Facility type 1: Health care facilities with overnight beds and operating rooms (acute care or critical access hospitals)
- Facility type 2: Health care facilities with overnight beds and no operating rooms (long-term care, psychiatric or rehabilitation hospitals)
- Facility type 3: Health care facilities with no overnight beds (community health centers, outpatient care facilities, ambulatory surgery centers, family health centers, stand-alone laboratories, or clinics)
If you are unsure, your member engagement liaison can work with you to identify your facility type, and will set up your awards account accordingly. Your facility will only be able to access award applications applicable to your facility type.
Learn more about the schedule for awards data submission, notification, and recognition.
- Award applications available for 2020: September 19
- Awards application deadline for submission: March 4
- Awards notification: April 1
- Environmental Excellence Awards Gala: May 14 at CleanMed in Orlando.
Please note: Practice Greenhealth does not provide any extensions to the submission period.
Awards tools and resources
Practice Greenhealth provides a range of tools and resources to support members during the application process as well as materials and guidance to help promote award winners.
See our award winners for 2019, as well as previous years.
Please contact awards technical assistance or call 888-378-2259 with questions about the Environmental Excellence Awards. You can also contact your member engagement liaison. VA facilities should first connect with their VISN mentor or email VAsupport@practicegreenhealth.org.
Join Practice Greenhealth
Practice Greenhealth is the health care sector’s go-to source for information, tools, data, resources, and expert technical support on sustainability initiatives that help hospitals and health systems meet their health, financial, and community goals.